The Center for Biological Diversity is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. All contributions are tax deductible.
A copy of our latest financial information and annual report may be obtained by writing to Center for Biological Diversity, P.O. Box 710, Tucson, AZ, 85702-0710, by calling (520) 623.5252, or by downloading a copy from this page.
Long-term support from our individual members is critical to fulfilling the Center’s mission. Maintaining a strong, trusting relationship with our members is key to this vital source of support.
Finding more individuals to join in supporting our services is also critical to the long-term success of our organization. Individuals who have contributed to organizations similar to ours are among the most likely to also be loyal supporters of the Center. Access to lists of donors to these charitable organizations is also a vital element of our efforts to raise the money needed to provide our services. Balancing the needs and desires of our contributors, along with meeting the need for efficient and effective fundraising practices, are the principles that underpin our list management policy. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that we conduct our fundraising in compliance with nationally established guidelines while ensuring that our members’ trust and faith in us is well placed and deserved.
The Center will, on occasion, share membership lists with other well-established charitable, like-minded nonprofit organizations. We believe that the opportunities for increased financial support and the cost reductions resulting from list exchanges and rental conducted within the guidelines of this policy will help us bring more attention to the issues and concerns that drive the mission of the Center and will allow the Center and our membership to be a positive force for change. In sharing lists, the following principles will always apply:
1. We will not sell, rent, give or exchange members’ names to, with, or from any candidate for public office, committees or organizations supporting a candidate, political parties, or organizations that solicit funds for use in political campaigns for any purpose.
2. We will respect the privacy of all members by offering a means by which their names may be suppressed upon their request, and we will honor their requests. We will provide notice of this option in various mailings to members. Also, we will endeavor to provide additional regular notices of this option through other means including our Web site.
3. Some donors may be recognized in publications like our quarterly membership newsletter or annual report. Testimonials will be published only with the consent of the donor. Donors may also notify us if they prefer that all or some of their contributions be made anonymously and not publicly recognized.
4. We will maintain active control of our membership lists by informing others, including any list brokers we may hire, of this policy and by taking steps to enforce this policy.
5. We will maintain complete and accurate records of all uses of membership lists for at least such time as required by law.
6. When we perform a list exchange or rental, we will ensure that the list is only for one-time use, and the only information we provide will be the member's name and mailing address. No e-mail or telephone information will ever be shared.
7. Occasionally, we may rent lists from other organizations in order to reach prospective members. We will not rent lists from any organization if we believe doing so may compromise the trust between the Center and its members.
8. We will comply with the laws and regulations of the Internal Revenue Service, all states in which we solicit funding, and the U.S. Postal Service. We collect personal information from visitors to our Web site only if they make a donation, purchase items from our Web site, or request goods or services from us. Personal information provided by users of our Web site is used to process a gift, establish a membership, or deliver goods or services. Visitors who purchase merchandise and provide a valid mailing address may be added to our mailing list. Visitors who provide us with their name and e-mail address may be added to our e-mail list, from which they can be removed at any time by following the instructions that are found in our electronic communications. The Center's online donation and merchandise sites are secured by RapidSSL, a leading global Certification Authority. Their SSL and code-signing digital certificates are used globally to secure servers, provide data encryption, authenticate users, protect privacy and ensure online identities through stringent authentication and verification processes.
To review or correct your personal contact information or to make changes to your recorded preferences as a member, please contact our membership team by phone at (520) 623.5252, ext. 303, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by postal mail at: Center for Biological Diversity, attn: Membership, P.O. Box 710, Tucson, AZ 85702-0710.
If you have questions regarding this policy, please contact the membership director at (520) 623.5252, ext. 303, by email at email@example.com, or by postal mail at Center for Biological Diversity, attn: Membership, P.O. Box 710, Tucson, AZ 85702-0710.